PeakTrader.com Forum Index PeakTrader.com
Economics, Portfolio Optimization, and Technical Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Two Prior Portfolios Failed (Incomplete)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     PeakTrader.com Forum Index -> Trading Log *All Categories Free For Limited Time*
View previous topic :: View next topic  
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Why Two Prior Portfolios Failed (Incomplete) Reply with quote

I started option portfolios in 2003. However, before that, in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s, I was trading options here and there. In the late ‘90s, I recall buying $100 of ATHM calls (many symbols no longer exist) and selling them for $500 two hours later. Then, buying cheaper calls on ATHM again for $100 and selling them for $500 an hour later, all in the same day.

I had calls on RMBS a month before it rose from 70 to 470 in three weeks. I made huge gains, selling Feb 80 calls buying Feb 100 calls, etc. (although, the highest calls were 160s). However, if I started with the 140 calls at 1/16th or $6 each, and held till they reached the top, each $6 call contract would’ve been worth $33,000!, but I sold too soon trading RMBS calls, and quit, since the calls went up to only 160. There are many other similar examples, like the two $50 DNA calls I sold for $300 each in an hour or two, or the CMGI and PMCS puts (CMGI fell from $100 a share to $1 a share within a year), etc.. The late ‘90s and early ‘00s were really wild with volatility.

I decided to start an options portfolio in 2003 after trading IMCL calls. A friend opened an account with $5,000 to trade options. I lost a little money initially and he got scared and took all the money out of his account, except I talked him into keeping a $50 IMCL call. Over the next six months, trading only IMCL calls, I turned that $50 call into over $2,600 and told him this may be a good time to take the money out. And, the commissions were costly, because I made over 50 trades, buying on dips and selling on bounces (many times, the calls opened very high and then pulled back).

I started an options portfolio in 2003 with $10,000 (scaled-up to $100,000). It was very successful, making big gains over several years. It failed when the market had a “melt-up.” I was buying too many puts, since they were deflating, while the market was rising. I was anticipating pullbacks, which weren’t significant enough to sell the puts. The more the market rose, the more puts I bought. I lost a lot of money very fast. The second portfolio, started in 2007, failed in the same way, after many years of high returns. I didn’t learn my lesson. I felt bad, because I lost money in other people’s portfolios too.

The portfolio I started in March 2018 has been extremely successful in the first year, particularly since the December 24th low when my portfolio fell slightly below $200,000 and increased to $480,000 a month later. A volatile market is a forgiving market - it’s easier to manage to make gains or minimize losses. I’ve learned from my two biggest mistakes: 1) Avoid puts in melt-ups. 2) Stay heavy in cash in a low volatility market.

Incomplete...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     PeakTrader.com Forum Index -> Trading Log *All Categories Free For Limited Time* All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: